Medical City Plano October 27, 2015

A Plano woman was at Medical City Plano following accidental carbon dioxide poisoning while transporting dry ice, the solid form of carbon dioxide. Dry ice is particularly popular during the Halloween holiday for witches brew punch, haunted houses and graveyard fog

Janelle Twyfer-Silvus, age 63, was found unconscious blocking the intersection of Mapleshade Lane and Coit Road slumped over her steering wheel. The Plano Fire Department, notified by a fellow motorist, was dispatched to the scene. They were able to safely transport her to the emergency department at Medical City Plano.

Janelle underwent a range of testing before being diagnosed with CO2 poisoning caused by the chemicals in her vehicle. Janelle has solid experience with handling dry ice. She often makes deliveries of Henry's Homemade Ice Cream to corporate events.

“We are thankful for the full recovery of Mrs. Twyfer-Silvus and that our trauma team was well prepared upon her arrival” said Charles Gressle, CEO of Medical City Plano “We are looking at this experience as an opportunity to educate the public as they use dry ice during this Halloween season.”

Medical City Plano is urging the community to take caution while transporting and handling this potentially dangerous chemical.