Epilepsy Monitoring at Medical City Plano
Medical City Plano's state-of-the-art Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU) serves patients in North Texas and beyond whose lives are affected by seizures. The EMU enhances our epilepsy team's ability to care for patients with uncontrolled seizures.
Patients admitted to the EMU receive continuous, comprehensive evaluation using digital video electroencephalogram (EEG) recording via dual cameras in their rooms. This protocol, combined with a multidisciplinary team-based approach, enables us to constantly monitor our EMU patients in order to refine diagnoses and respond in real time to a patient's needs as a seizure occurs.
This advanced level of electroneurodiagnostic testing can lead to a new seizure treatment plan, with the goal of reducing a patient's seizure burden and improving quality in life.
Epilepsy Monitoring Unit Referral
Referral to the EMU may be appropriate for a variety of reasons, including when seizures:
- Are difficult to diagnose
- Are not responding to medications or treatment
- Have unknown/unclear causes
- Exist with other conditions (comorbidities) that are difficult to diagnose or manage
- Become severe or disruptive enough to consider alternatives, such as surgery
Epilepsy Monitoring Team
Medical City Plano's epilepsy monitoring team consists of the following healthcare professionals:
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Registered EEG Technology Supervisor
- Registered Nurses
- Registered and Board Eligible EEG Technologists
- Case Manager/Social Worker
- Licensed Dietitians
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Registered Nursing Educator
- Chaplain Services