Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Established in 1979, Medical City Plano's Cardiac Rehabilitation program provides exercise therapy and education to patients recovering from a heart attack, heart surgery or interventional procedure in the cardiac catheterization lab. Those with chronic conditions such as heart failure or stable angina can also benefit from this program. Ours was the first cardiac rehab program in Collin County, as well as the first to receive accreditation from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
We combine the elements of recovery, education, diet and lifestyle changes into one comprehensive program, helping you develop a healthier heart. Here's a closer look at the program:
- Your cardiologist or internist follows your progress.
- Registered nurses and exercise physiologists staff the department. They bring many years of cardiac rehab experience, as well as expertise in multiple exercise modalities, corporate wellness, acute care cardiology nursing and critical care nursing.
- All staff are certified in CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and ACLS (Advanced Cardiopulmonary Life Support).
- Outpatient education is provided by registered nurses, exercise physiologists, dietitians and pharmacists.
- Inpatient programs are available.
Outpatient programs include:
- Monitored, Phase II fitness program: Cares for more than 300 new cardiac patients each year. Offers the widest range of class times of any cardiac rehab in the area. Choose from seven classes a day on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Intermittently monitored, Phase III fitness program: After completing the monitored program, start intermittently monitored exercise on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. This program is also available for those without insurance coverage for cardiac rehab. This self-pay program includes 3 months of exercise sessions. Call for rates.
- Wellness program: After completing cardiac rehab, many patients continue to exercise in the Medical City Plano cardiac rehab gym for a monthly fee. This program is open to spouses of cardiac patients, as well as any other Collin County resident 18 years of age or older. On-site staff orient new gym members to the equipment, help them begin an exercise regimen and get them moving toward achieving their personal fitness goals.
A study published by the American Heart Association in December 2009 proved the tremendous benefits of completing cardiac rehab. Heart attack and bypass patients who finished all 36 rehab sessions reduced their risk of dying in the next four years to 47 percent less than patients who completed just one session.
Stop by and visit us in the gym, located in Building D, Suite 122. Hours of operation are Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 6:00am to 7:00pm.
Friday: 8:00am to 11:00am for Wellness members.For more information, call (972) 519-1274.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation: We help improve quality of life for patients struggling with pulmonary disease.
Seminars: Medical City Plano hosts frequent educational seminars and fairs open to the public. Cardiac rehab program educational opportunities are open to all patients, family members and the public free of charge.