Spine Surgery at Medical City Plano
Medical City Plano’s highly respected team of spine surgeons provides treatment for the full spectrum of spinal disorders, including degenerative diseases and tumors. In addition to open reconstructive surgery, the Brain & Spine Hospital offers a range of minimally invasive options. These procedures take advantage of recent technological developments in endoscopy, image guidance and special surgical instruments to access and repair the spine through small portals. As a result, patients leave the hospital sooner and recover faster.
Spine Services Offered at Medical City Plano
- Anterior lumbar interbody fusions (ALIF)
- Complex spinal reconstruction
- Corrections of malformations of the spinal cord and spine
- Correction for flatback syndrome
- Deformity surgery for scoliosis
- Herniated disc surgery
- Kyphosis/Scheuermann’s disease (hunchback)
- Lumbar and cervical discectomy, including microdiscectomy through very small incisions
- Procedures to suppress pain, such as neurostimulation
- Spinal cord tumor resections
- Spinal fusions
- Total disc replacement/motion preservation surgery (artificial cervical discs)
- Treatment of anomalies at the junction between the brain and spine
- Treatment of spinal cord injury and acute-nature spine trauma
- Treatment of traumatic spinal deformities
Medical City Plano surgeons modify their approach whenever possible to decrease risk and improve patient outcomes. "For example, we perform thoracic interbody fusions through a posterior approach, instead of entering through the lung," says Rajesh Arakal, MD, Medical Director of the orthopedic spine surgery and scoliosis programs at Medical City Plano. "This makes a big difference in minimizing complications. Such sophisticated techniques are offered by only a handful of hospitals."
The spine specialists at Medical City Plano also employ leading-edge technology like the Siemens® Brainlab® Image Guidance System and the Expandable Working Ramp — an instrument used during anterior lumbar interbody fusions.